Expert Occupational Hygiene and Training providers, Gully Howard Technical are ideal providers of the W504 – Assessment and Control of Asbestos Training course.
The W504 is an optional module under the Occupational Hygiene Training Association (OHTA) International qualification scheme. BOHS are the UK examining board for this module and Gully Howard Technical are the training course providers. Candidates will take an open book written examination at the end of the module, and complete an assessed practical during the course. View the W504 course syllabus here.
The W504 – Assessment and Control of Asbestos Training course aims to enhance the student’s knowledge of occupational hygiene practice in relation to fibrous dusts. The module concentrates on asbestos, however other fibres, e.g. machine made mineral fibres, aramids, carbon etc., which are increasingly finding uses in industry are also covered.
Successful completion of this module will benefit those working in asbestos consultancy as well as in mainstream occupational hygiene, giving an understanding of the health risks associated with asbestos and other fibres as well as the means of evaluation and control.
On successful completion of this module the student should be able to:
- Describe the composition, nature and properties of asbestos, machine made mineral and other fibres and their historical uses.
- Describe the health effects of asbestos and other fibrous materials and apply appropriate exposure limits.
- Describe the uses of asbestos in buildings and the public health risk that these may pose.
- Understand the principals of and requirements for asbestos surveys, including taking samples and Identifying.
- Be thoroughly familiar with current good practice in the construction and use of enclosures for asbestos remediation and the use of decontamination units.
- Understand all the principles of clearance testing, the requirements for measurement and appropriate techniques for post remediation evaluation.
- Conduct air sampling to determine airborne concentrations of asbestos or other fibres in accordance with defined procedures including microscopic counting techniques.
- Have the ability to advise on all the various techniques for the management of asbestos in buildings in accordance with good practice.
Course Bookings and Enquiries
For course booking and enquiries, please contact us at: Training@ghtechnical.com / 023 9272 8040.
Download Training Course Booking Form (PDF) to register on this course.
*This course can also be provided at a company premises – Contact us for a quote
To view 2018 International Occupational Hygiene ‘W’ Module course dates, please Click Here.
To view 2017 International Occupational Hygiene ‘W’ Module course dates, please Click Here