Surveying FAQ

Surveying FAQWhere can I find out more about the type of survey I need?

To find out more about a particular type of survey and what it covers please visit the relevant link. If you still have any questions or do not see the service that you require please contact us on 023 9272 8040 so that we can assess your needs and offer you a solution to meet them.

What can I expect during the survey?

This will depend on the type of survey that we have been commissioned to undertake. A brief outline is included but please contact us if you still have any questions.

Building Surveys – The surveyor will not lift carpets or take other steps which may cause damage to the property. Neither will they shift furniture, test drains, wiring or water supply. They will not inspect areas that are difficult to access, but will use a ladder to inspect roofs up to 3m in height.

Surveys for a specific purpose (i.e damp or rot or other structural defects) – Due to the nature of these surveys there will be some degree of disturbance to the building structure. In extreme cases this may be significant. This will be discussed and agreed before any works commence.

Thermography – This type of survey is non-invasive and minimum disruption will be caused. The property will need to be heated for a period before the survey. This will be discussed and agreed with the occupier prior to our arrival on site.

EPCs – For Building Surveys there will be a number of questions that the assessor will need to ask you. These will include your use of the property and will be described to the occupier prior to the assessors visit.

What access will the surveyor require?

Unless the survey is confined to one area, such as a kitchen inspection, the surveyor will require access to all areas of the property. This will include all cupboards and accessible loft spaces. This may also include external stores and gardens.

For EPCs the assessor will need access to all water heaters and tanks and this will involve the occupier ensuring that these components are fully visible. If the survey is for a specific purpose, such as damp, the survey may well move outside of the affected area. In certain cases the survey will have to be terminated if sufficient access is not available. We are a customer focused organisation; customer service is at the heart of our organisation. Our surveyors and dedicated team of administrators will work with you and guide you throughout the process.

Why should we chose Gully Howard Technical to carry out Stock Condition Surveys?

We are able to confidently carry out this service for a diverse client base due to our experienced in-house specialist surveyors. This experience is key to helping the client understand what his requirements are, and the best route to delivering that service. We are also able to offer added value due to the cross training of our team.

How do we know that the findings and recommendations  are accurate and meet our requirements?

Rigorous in-house audit procedures carried out at strategic points in the work to help ensure that the clients’ needs are met fully and accurately. For large projects involving hundreds or thousands of properties, Gully Howard Technical has previously recommended that a “Pilot” scheme of representative properties is undertaken and the results analysed, before embarking on the main contract. This exercise helps the client and Gully Howard Technical “hone” in on what the clients; needs are, and tweak the procedure if necessary. This has proved in the past to be a valuable exercise and has helped to streamline the final survey procedure.

How is the information obtained during the survey used?

Once the property has been collected, Gully Howard Technical is able to extrapolate and model the data to similar properties. This enables the client to predict yearly maintenance costs up to 30yrs in advance from a sample number of properties, which is crucial to budgetary management.  We are also able to provide cost analysis for individual project works, or cost information required to improve highlighted properties to a “Decent Home Standard”.

Many of our larger clients such as Housing Associations are audited on a yearly basis regarding overall organisation management. One of the main criteria is that they carry out regular Stock condition Surveys (SCS) of their property portfolio and implement the necessary maintenance or improvement activities. This demonstrates good management and compliance and has a bearing on their financial credibility, which is vital to their overall development plan for their organisation.

Why do I need a Fire Risk Assessment?

Regulation regarding fire safety underwent a major overhaul with the introduction of the ‘Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 which came into force on 1st October 2006. This resulted in numerous existing local and national regulations being repealed and collected the requirements for the management of fire safety into one set of Regulations. It’s important to know that fire certificates are no longer issued and existing certificates are no longer valid, although they can be useful in developing the fire risk assessment. If you are an employer, owner, landlord or occupier of business or non-domestic premises you’re responsible for fire safety and are known as the ‘responsible person’.

Non-domestic premises include:

  • All workplaces and commercial premises
  • All premises that public have access to
  • The common parts of multi-occupied residential buildings
  • The Fire Safety Order also applies if you have paying guests, for example run a B&B, guest house or let a self catering property.

In shared premises it is likely that there will be more than one responsible person and in this case you will need to ensure that your fire safety plans are coordinated to ensure the safety of all people on the premises.
For common or shared areas the responsible person is the landlord, freeholder or managing agent.

As the ‘responsible person’ you have a duty to:

  • Identify the fire hazards
  • Identify people at risk
  • Evaluate, remove or reduce the risks
  • Record the findings provide an emergency plan and provide training
  • Review and update the fire risk assessment regularly

Although this duty remains with the ‘responsible person’ they can appoint a “competent person” as a Fire Risk Assessor, if they don’t have the expertise to do the assessment themselves. The risk assessment need only be recorded if you have a total of five or more employees we would recommend that it be recorded in all cases.

Additional information: